Friday, May 16, 2008

G.O.J. - The Geography of Jesus

I have been wanting to write on this subject for sometime now.  In our 4 years overseas, this may be the biggest truth that I have come to know and it gives me perspective wherever I go now.  It gives me security on tough days and reminds of the purpose of my life on the days that bring joy.  It is not based on circumstances, but one of understanding the presence of Jesus.  I want to discuss the topic of Geography.
Geography can be defined in several ways.  One way is simply the topographical features of an area in regard to country, mountains, rivers, cities, etc. but I want to discuss today what I have in the last couple of years labeled "the Geography of Jesus".  The Geography of Jesus is a life perspective that goes much much deeper than the geographical location of a country or the city in which we live, but the G.O.J. is a place where believers come to actually live, and it has nothing to do with physical geography, but one that has to do with spiritual geography.  
What does the G.O.J. mean?   Well the best way to define it is with the scriptural examples from which I learned it as I set them up close to my life for the purpose of examination.  I will list only a few examples and then after you read them, I will share the implications the G.O.J. has for our daily lives. 
Joseph at Potiphar's house after being sold into slavery by his brothers
Genesis 39:2 The LORD was with Joseph and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master. 3 When his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did, 4 Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned.
Daniel in Babylon
Daniel 1:19 The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king's service. 20 In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.
Schadrach, Meschach, and Abednego as they stand before Nebuchadnezzar in Babylon
Daniel 3: 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
David while on the run from King Saul responds this way:
Psalm 54:6 I will sacrifice a freewill offering to you; I will praise your name, O LORD, for it is good.7 For he has delivered me from all my troubles, and my eyes have looked in triumph on my foes.
Paul and Silas in Philippi after being beaten and thrown into the inner part of the cell
Acts 16:25About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.
In each and every situation above, these people found themselves in a physical geographical place that was not their normal geographical home.  All of them had been plucked from their homeland, been forced to leave all they knew or were simply on mission with Christ.  Regardless of the reason for these God-followers, not much really changed for them.  Why?  Because where they really lived had nothing to do with physical geography, for they lived their lives in the presence of Christ.  His presence was their Geography.  So regardless of what happened to them from being in prison, on the run from a crazy King or being sent to a foreign land - where they lived did not change.  They really never left home, for home to them was the constant awareness of Jesus.  Is it our constant awareness.
I had always marveled at how they seemed to flourish no matter the circumstances or settings that they found themselves in.  Obviously it was not easy for them, but they still thrived.  They had gotten to that rare place that few of us ever get to or live in - They knew that no matter what came or happened, nothing could touch who they really were and where they lived.  In his presence, nothing could touch them, nor can it touch us.  This was their secret and can be ours.  It was why Paul and Silas could sing hymns after being stripped, beaten, and fastened in stocks.  Though their bodies were in the bottom of that stench filled inner part of the prison, Paul and Silas were somewhere else in Spirit.   They were living where they always lived - in the presence of Jesus.  They were already some place deeper, further, and more beautiful.  I wonder how much of the prison they really saw or smelled?
 
How do get to live there?  You get there by having no other passion but knowing the depth of the glory of God.  It is the only constant we can trust in.  I have to ask this question of me:
Which kind of geography will I choose to live in?  A city or the conscious presence of Jesus.


No comments: