Thursday, November 6, 2008

Boldness in Prayer

Jesus once told a story of how important it is to be bold in prayer. Here is the passage in Luke 11:5-8:
"Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me 3 loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him'. Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything'. I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs."
The friendship between the two mean was not enough to move the man to get up and share his bread. It is something more that moves him to act in behalf of his friend. It is the boldness of the friend that made all of the difference. The man gets up and gives his friend as much as he needs. For me, I ask this question: Are my prayers to God marked with this kind of boldness? Where I am not afraid to come at anytime to ask God to move and act? That is the point Jesus is making. Are we going to quit praying because God has not yet moved? or .. Are we going to move him to action with our boldness?
Jesus now says this in verses 9-10, "So, I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks find; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened".
Jesus emphasizes that God is about answering, but are we going to ask, seek, and knock? I am asking God for these things: 1. Work full-time at the church ASAP 2. Reach the lost and disillusioned of our area 3. LifePointe would champion the glory of God and the down and out of our area. These are the bold things I am coming before God about and I will not let up.


No comments: