Monday, December 22, 2008

A Shepherd's Story

I knew you wouldn’t believe me and I guess I was prepared for that.  After all, it was the night of nights in my life, but yet, also still so unbelievable.  It is still like something out of a dream, only that I know it happened – for I was there.  As with all the epic stories of history, some people believe them and some people do not – even though there are so many eyewitnesses.  Sadly, it seems that has already happened with this story.  For me though, I will forever be different.  Sometimes, it takes something extraordinary to make our ordinary lives special and help us find purpose. As I said, I am now completely different because I was in the presence of the king.

            Because I cannot help it, I will attempt to tell you once more what happened to me that night, and I simply ask you to listen carefully to all I say, and consider the truth the story tells, for it could change your life as well.  As you know, the Shepherd’s life is pretty ordinary.  Day in and Day out I live among our sheep making sure their needs are met.  At times it can be interesting, then on other days completely uneventful.  I have sensed that our Father trusts me more now.   He sees that my older brothers are now more interested in other things rather than the sheep.  I do think that my brothers have noticed as well as they keep giving me more responsibilities.  Shepherding can really be such a monotonous job and boredom can be a reality.  I am thankful for the Roman Census as it has made people be on the move as we see more and more heading to their hometowns.

            On that particular night I was busy and had not even noticed how bright the night sky was.  I have found that life can really be that way.  We our stuck in the ordinary of our lives and seldom notice the things significance around us.  It was simply another night that looked liked the one before and the one before that.  I think I have missed so much in my life because my life’s perspective was always focused on me.  My world, my time, my family, my job, my desires, and my everything else was all I ever saw – until this night. 

            As I was in this field watching over the flock, someone came and stood right before us.  I cannot explain it, but it happened immediately.  Right in front of me and my brothers was an angel of the Lord.  He had come into the ordinary of our lives with the glory of the Lord.  I had gone from seeing a life only about me, to seeing a glimpse of God’s kingdom. How can I best explain what I saw?  The best words I can use are these: “the glory of the Lord shone around us”.   To be honest, I was really scared.  Before I knew it, the angel spoke to us and told us to not be afraid.  In that moment peace came over my life and I felt secure.  Have you ever had a moment like that?  A place where you were so scared, but the words of someone calmed you in the midst of your fear.  I had always just heard about it, but in that moment I knew it to be true.  Looking back, I now know what calmed me, it was the words of the angel.  The words though were not his, but he spoke the very words of God.  I now know that God’s word has that power.  God’s word is alive and goes to the deepest part of our hearts to awaken something there.  All I know is that something that was dead in me, was now alive. 

            What did he say?  He told us to not be afraid, but to look and see something with the eyes of our heart.  He brought us the news of joy that would be for all people – a king had been born.  This news, that would change the world,  he gave it to us – simple shepherds.  I have thought about this for weeks now, and I still cannot believe it.  God sent his message to us simple, ordinary shepherds in a field.  He did not go to the palaces to announce the coming of this king, but to us in a field.  Why?  Because God treasures the ordinary and simple.  God came to all people and he does not base his kingdom on power, but rather on the truth of us knowing who we are before him and knowing that he alone is God. 

            I was the first to leave and my brothers followed quickly behind me.  We ran as fast as we could to Bethlehem to see this child wrapped in cloth and lying in a manger.  Oh, I almost forgot to say this:  Before we left, more and more angels than I could count, came and began praising God with these words: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."  Imagine that, peace on earth on whom his favor rests.  Jesus came to bring peace and his favor to all mankind.  As they left, we went immediately to see what we were told with our own eyes. 

            I was so excited that I ran all the way and never got tired.  As I went inside I saw everything the angel said.  It was all true.  There I was, standing in the presence of God, who had come down and entered the world in a body.  He came to those he loved.  He came to us.  What have I been doing since then?  Exactly what I am doing now – telling the story of my experience.  As we left that night, we began telling the story to everyone that God had now come to man.  They also were amazed at our words. Later that night as we went back to the sheep, we found that we went differently as before.  We went glorifying and praising God.

            It has been several weeks since the experience and I have noticed that my brothers do not think as much about the baby or about God, but me, I cannot do anything but reflect on the meaning of his coming.  God had come into the World to be with the ones that he loved.  As I began to think about this, I have realized that truth includes me.

            God came to be with me.  You see, the story has a very personal angle.  God loves me and has a plan for my life.  He wants to be with me and pour his love over me.  That is why I still worship him today.   My God, the baby Jesus, drew near to me to give me all that my heart needs. 

            What will you do with the story that I have told today?  Will you be like some, who say it is not true or will you worship, bow, rejoice, and tell the great story of the birth of Heaven’s King.

 

No comments: