Thursday, September 19, 2013

Jesus and His Primacy of the Word

This morning, I had an insightful time in John 8 and was reminded of the importance that Jesus himself placed on the scriptures.  As Lifepointe is walking through the gospel of John together, our focus for this week is making sure that we dive and dig deep in the truths of the Holy Scriptures. Over the last several months, much of the focus of my time in the word has been to see all that the Bible reveals to us in regard to keeping the scripture at the forefront of our lives.  It should not be surprising to any of us that the Word of God calls us to keep the Words of God central to our life.  The word is where we see Christ and get to know Him more intimately.  It is also the foundation from which we worship Him.  Therefore, the Bible must be the sustenance of our daily existence.  I am reminded of Jesus words from several weeks ago in John 4.
Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” But he said to them, 
“I have food to eat that you do not know about.” So the disciples said to one another, 
“Has anyone brought him something to eat?” Jesus said to them, 
“My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
(John 4:31-34 ESV)
Jesus food was to do the will of the Father and to accomplish his work. This included for Jesus, embracing all that the Father said and did.  Those 2 things are what fed Jesus while he was here on earth.

As I came to John 8 today, my heart awakened more to the necessity of scripture in my life.  Here is what Jesus said in John 8 in regard to the Words of God.  It is my prayer that these words become my passion and the breath of your life.

John 8 and the Word

Jesus Focus of Ministry was Teaching                                                    
John 8:20  These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.

Abiding in His word gives evidence as to who we are                           
John 8:31  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, Abiding in His word is once again the call.  Jesus wants us to abide in His word as life in found only in him.

His Word must find a place in me                                                                 
John 8:37  I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you.

When I understand His word, then I will bear His word                      
John 8:43  Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word.

Those Who are of Him, hear His words                                                      
John 8:47  Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

Keeping His word keeps me from death                                                       
John 8:51  Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
52  The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’

Keeping the Word was the Jesus practice                                                         
John 8:55  But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word.





No comments: