Tuesday, November 14, 2017

It Started with the Fire

One of the things our family loves to do in the fall is time at the fire pit with some coffee, cider, hot chocolate and S'mores. We had one tonight and as everyone has moved to the "getting ready for bed stage" of the night, I have stepped back outside to sit, pray, and read scripture as day ends by the fire.  

Tonight I have much on my mind in regard to the Gospel.  For about 3 months now I have not been able to get away from reading 1 Corinthians 1-3, for in those pages there is so much in regard to how we can stay connected to the Gospel, drift from the purity of the Gospel, and how we can become distracted toward things that all pale in comparison to the glory of the Gospel of Christ.  

In these days I can get pretty focused and intense as I think on and talk about the things written by Paul in these first chapters.  There is much to say in them and I will likely share more of that at a later time, but tonight these fresh thoughts were all started with the fire.

The fire led me to think on these words I have read so often in these months...

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. 11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. 14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

I would like to point out first what Paul sets forth in 3:11 in regard to the only true foundation for life.  We are not to build our lives on anything but Jesus and nothing is to become our focus over Him, not even some of the really good things connected to our faith.  All of those Biblical things serve to lead us to know Him and be more intimate with Him, not take precedent over Him.  So Paul says there is no other foundation than Jesus and upon that foundation of Christ, we will choose what kind of "house"/"life" we will build.

The materials we choose to use in the building of our faith life are connected to how we live out our faith, and the quality of those materials we build with matters to God and it should matter to us.  If we choose to live for the Gospel, embrace its mission, and love the truth of Scripture then on the day of Jesus, our "works", not our "sin" will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. Will we have lived for that which lasts and receive a reward?  Or will how we live out our faith be burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire?

As I thought deeper about the Gospel tonight, looked at the fire, and then reread the text above - I have again been firmly convinced again, that my life cannot get caught up in the pursuit of anything outside of pursuing Jesus and taking the Gospel to the neighborhoods and nations.  

I can't get caught up in the petty things of my life that I think are such a big deal,  be distracted by thoughts and opinions of others, secretly long for the things of this earth or get caught up in things that not grounded in Gospel thinking. 

I must have a Gospel permeated life and it is my greatest longing for this to be true in me right now.

I must surround myself with others who love the wonder of the Gospel who are inside the faith.

I must be burdened for those who don't know of the rescue that can come from the Gospel's power to transform who are outside of the faith.

The kind of life that builds on the foundation of Jesus with the right and lasting materials is one that flows out of these words that we see in the life focus of Paul in...
1 Corinthians 2:2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. Paul wanted only this to dominate his life and that is why he knew Jesus so well and why he lived an impactful life everywhere he went.  

I want to burn for Christ the way Paul did, so I must pursue to know Jesus. 

I want to close this post with a short video about another "fire" that should awaken us for the Gospel and for the lost.

Please take a look at the short video here by David Platt and allow this "fire" to stir our hearts and light a flame in us. 

My prayer tonight:
God, stir our hearts to know you and make you known.  Help us to promote the unity of the Spirit.  Lead us to extend forgiveness and let things go.  Equip us to disciple others to know how to walk better in their faith.  Give us your burden for the lost of the world. May we love your bride as you love her, defend her, and gave your life for her.










No comments: