Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Who Do We Minister To?


     This week, I have undertaken a little research project, in which I looked at all 4 Gospels to see who Jesus specifically ministered to.  It wasn't really that eye opening, but still I found it interesting.  I will list below what I found but just a brief word about the #'s I will share.  I did not break down the same story that is in 3 of the gospels and make it one, but I simply listed it as 3 in the total number of references.  For example, in the groups/crowds section, the feeding of the 5,000 is in all 4 gospels and all 4 references are included in the total.  I will condense it at another time.  Here are my findings so far:
1.  Women - 18x
2.  Groups/Crowds - 13x
3.  Demon-possessed - 17x
4.  Sick - 9x
5.  Blind - 6x
6.  Romans - 5x
7.  Children - 13x
8.  Disciples/Apostles - 6x
     That is just a sample as I will continue to look at it a little deeper in the days ahead.  This is the question I have of myself and maybe for you:  Does my ministry include these type of people that Jesus included in his ministry sphere?  Should mine look like his? Or have things changed in our time of ministry? And if my ministry should include these type of people, does it match up?  I do not have any definitive answers to this questions, but I have some thoughts.  If he is my model for life and ministry and he said his mission was this in Luke 4:18-19: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.", should my ministry focus look like his?   In Matthew 9:12-13 Jesus said, "Those who are well have no need of physician, but those who are sick.  Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice'. For I came to not call the righteous, but sinners".  Do I spend more time with my colleagues, other Christians, or with those who are 'sinners'?  Do I have balance between them all, or is my ministry tilted more to those like me?
     I just wanted to give some food for thought as we examine what we do in general in regard to ministry, so that it looks more and more like the way Jesus ministered.           

No comments: