Sunday, June 22, 2008

Are We to work hard?

We are exhorted in the scripture to action, not to earn salvation, but as expression of God’s working in us through Christ, in the power of the Holy Spirit.  We are not encouraged to sit back and let God do all of the work, but actually we are encouraged to join him actively in this process.  Nothing is greater than Jesus, who he is and what he has done for us in his death and resurrection, and we should never think that anything but Jesus gives us salvation.  This truth though, does not lead us to become inactive, but actually it leads us to be active in living out our faith in Christ.  
I am referencing how sanctification works.  We always trust in the work of Christ and what his death brought us, but that trust does not mean that we do not give effort or become passive.  The counsel of scripture says we do give effort.  Let me share just a few today:
Philippians 2:12-13 - "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."
2 Peter 1:5 - "For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge.."
2 Peter 1:10 - "Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall."
1 Corinthians 9:27 - "But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others, I myself should be disqualified."
Philippians 3:12 - "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own."
We are not called to some passive life where we sit back, but we "work out, make every effort, are diligent and practice these qualities, discipline our bodies, and we press on".  Those are just a few of the phrases. Sanctification comes when we look to Jesus and obey him as we "work out our salvation with fear and trembling".  Let's enjoy the "work out". 

No comments: