Monday, December 10, 2012

What To Do with Jesus?

          What are we to do with Jesus?  For all of us who claim to be a Christ-Follower, the answer to this question, to be honest, unfortunately varies.  Why is that?  Why is our pursuit of Him not marked by the same thing?  Why does it look so different?  We could say it is because of denominations, personalities, traditions, or current personal struggles.  For me, I have used some of those in my description of what I am doing with Jesus.  I wonder if we have really missed the true reality of what it really means to be a Christ-Follower.  What should this following mean, fundamentally?  What should this following look like?  As with all things, let's let the scripture define this for us.
          In Hebrews 3, the writer asks the reader to "Consider Jesus".  What does this mean?  In the Greek, this word means to gaze at something for the purpose of getting the real and inner meaning of something so it can be learned and known.  So...the writer says that the priority for us is to gaze at Jesus until we get the real and true meaning.  How long do you think this might take?  Obviously, a lifetime.  So, the question is, is this what the fundamental essence of following Christ is marked by?  Again, let's let the scripture define this for us more (bolder emphasis mine):
  • Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.    Philippians 3:8-11 ESV
  • Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, the offspring of David, as preached in my gospel    2 Timothy 2:8 ESV
  • For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.                         1 Corinthians 2:2 ESV
  • And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.  John 17:3 ESV
  • Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.  Psalm 25:4 ESV
  • But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. 2 Peter 3:18 ESV
  • Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.  Luke 10:41-42 ESV
These are just several of many verses about what the foundation is concerning following Jesus.  There is nothing greater that we can do than think on, gaze on, talk about, read about, be quiet before, meditate on - the greatness of Jesus.  This is what the common thing should be.  We cannot get around this!  Someone can't say, well "I'm a missions guy" or "I'm a family ministry person", etc. etc.  All of those, must flow out of knowing Christ.  That is the foundation of this relationship with Christ.  Everything flows out of this.  A strong missional and family life is built on knowing Christ.  This must be the one common thing about us.  After all...Jesus has called this life before Him as the "good portion which will not be taken away".  Why should we not be all about the this "portion" then?  It is a must for this to be the main focus of our lives.

Is this what Christ-Following looks like in our life?  It should.   What are you and I willing to do to move our life in Christ completely in line with KNOWING CHRIST?  Whatever it is, let's get it right now!

No comments: