Friday, June 2, 2017

Living Bigger

I don't know how it is for you in your faith life, but I know in mine, at times I can get easily distracted by a circumstance, a family matter, a financial stress, or a health matter.  Some of these, honestly, are really big and overwhelming but even in that truth I do not have to live cowardly under their towering nature.  

When I read the Bible like you, I marvel at those who have great faith and in the midst of mind blowing challenges, they conquered and maintained their faith when it would have been easy to cower under their weight. 

I want to live BIGGER!  I have grown tired of the weakness of faith that is more shackling, than freeing.  Read the words of Jesus to the churches in Revelation 2-3 and 7 times He speaks of conquerors.

This week my time in Genesis 22 led me to think on this deeper in regard to Abraham. 

This week as I pondered Abraham processing the idea of sacrificing Isaac I was led to think of living larger than human issues or even 1st World problems.  Genesis 22:1-2 tells us that God was testing Abraham in this matter of offering his son as a burnt offering. How do you process a request like this with the son of the promise? and one that comes from God? 

Humanly you can't, but in deep faith you can - He trusted God and was able to "live bigger" than the size of the instruction God gave (which was very big). These words stood out to me in how Abraham chose to walk into this request and circumstance he found himself under.  They are words that reveal his "living bigger" and trusting with each step and not panicking under the largeness of the circumstance (the circumstance was big - kill your son as a sacrifice).  Look at his steps of living large...
vs 3 - Rose, saddled his donkey, gathered wood
vs 4 - traveled and trusted on the way
vs 5 - somehow believed He and Isaac would return
vs 6 - took all he needed for the sacrifice
vs 7,8 - tells Isaac God will provide
vs 9 - built the altar of sacrifice
vs 10 - takes the knife and was going to follow through
vs 11 - God speaks, intervenes, & provides the sacrifice
vs 12 - God affirms his faith for faith pleases God
vs 14 - His faith allowed him to learn something new of God

I want to live "bigger" than even those things that I can't fully understand as I want to know and see more of Him than I have even known.

Here is what I think it means to live bigger: It means you keep moving forward in faith.  It does not mean you don't have human emotions in the midst of the circumstance, but you keep pursuing Christ and running after Him.

2 comments:

joyce aylor said...

I want to live bigger in my faith too- I really do get weary in my faith walk- I read of the heroes of the faith and want that kind of faith too!

Mike Kay Jr. said...

Yes, I know I struggle here. I feel as though like you said we have our human emotions in the midst of circumstances that I allow those to stop me in my faith growth. I get in a place where I feel I have to start all over. Doak thank you for starting your blog again. It has been to long since since I have been able to share in this type of growth in God's word with you my friend. Thank you Father for giving Doak the desire and putting these words on his heart.