Monday, March 24, 2008

It Happened Today

     I knew that it would eventually happen.  It had to happen. It happened to me when I was a kid and I am sure it has happened to you.  It happened to my parents and to their parents. It happens to every parent who has ever lived, well at least in the modern era of radio, 8 tracks, CD's, and the greatness of the MP3.  It will happen to all of our children. Kids, I guess, never understand the greatness of the generations before them as they are so lost within their own.  If only they could be mature enough to really understand what they are missing.  What in the world am I talking about?  Well, I will tell you.  
     As the 4 oldest kids were looking at something on the computer today, I had my music going, and yes, the greatness of 70's music.  I have a file entitled "Doak's Alltime" and it contains all the greats from my generation.  The kids all turned and said, "Dad, you like boring music."  
       With those words, things changed.  I am definitely older and they are definitely older.  Do you remember when it happened to you?  For me, I got to a place as a kid where the Statler Brothers and Marty Robbins were no longer cool to listen to just because my dad liked them. There were better things in life to listen to like: Journey, Reo Speedwagon, James Taylor, Bread, Styx, Boston, Jackson Browne, and Billy Joel.  Who would not like those all time greats?  My kids that's who!
     Actually, I am okay with it totally.  It means that now, I will have to pay more attention to what they are listening to and stay in touch with this generation of music and I think that is alright, although it will stretch me some to fully embrace the likes of the Hairspray Soundtrack and the Jonas Brothers.  God willing, our kids get older and a sure sign that it happens is when our music becomes boring.
     Regardless of their sudden "stuck up" view of my music, I think I am staying with my bands. To many memories of then and still now flood my mind when I hear those songs.  Though they sound "kommisch" to the kids, they sound sweet in mine.

No comments: