Sunday, March 2, 2008

2 Things to Avoid

PROVERBS 30                                                                            7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: 8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

He, as well as we, know that nothing good can come from lies and falsehood.  That is the first danger he fears, for it is truth that sets us free. Not only does he see the danger of untruth, but he also knows that having too much riches or too little will also lead to our downfall.  He needs help.  We need help. His motivation to avoid both of them is a fear that he would dishonor the name of God. What a desire.  He is driven so much in this pursuit that he asks God to give him these things before he dies.  He knows the danger of having to much where he could easily turn inward and say, "I have accumulated this all by my hand!"  Or if he was poor, he might steal and therefore that would also lead to the dishonoring of God.  

What is the answer?  It is found being grateful for today's bread, today's gifts, and at the same time acknowledging that it has all come from God.  It is knowing that Christ alone is the treasure of treasures and he is enough for today.


No comments: