Saturday, March 22, 2008

Reality of Circumstances

     Life brings changes that are completely out of our control.  When new circumstances come, it is how we respond that makes all the difference.  A key to responding in a way that makes the biggest difference, is to remember that life is not about our comfort, staying in the same job with the same organization or living in the same city.  This perspective comes when we know that the only constant in life is Christ and He does not change during the shifting world of our lives.  This is how Paul saw it.  Look at what he says in Philippians 4.
10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
What Paul writes in verse 11 is the absolute key in this process - "I have learned to be content..".  You learn contentedness.  Well, how can you learn it?  The only way to learn it is  to go through the changing of circumstances that alter our plans.  If our life only goes according to our plans and is never dramatically shaken, we will not learn to be content in both the times of plenty and less.  I am going through that right now.  I hope I learn it because one response that I could have is restlessness instead of contentedness.  I must embrace the change and allow God to mold me into the image of Jesus.  The question comes:  What do I want more?  Jesus or things to go according to my plans.  I often want my plan, but his is definitely better.
     That is how you learn it, but how can we see it take root deep in us?  Verse 13 is the key - "I can do anything through him who gives me strength".  It is in relationship to Jesus that this becomes possible and it is His power that helps me accept, not necessarily like, whatever is coming my way.  Life is about relationship with Jesus, not having all things go my way.  These 2 are in the mix that leads to contentedness.

No comments: