Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Experience of the Son and the Sun

I had a thought this week but have not had time to further think through until this morning.  The thought is this:  Our experience with the Son (of God) and the Sun (bright yellow thing) is much the same.  Let me illustrate.  When you are standing on the beach or the lake or by the pool, the Sun is a friend that feels so good as he shines in all his glory upon us.  It is enjoyable and welcomed.  Take the same Sun an hour later as you are mowing your grass or jogging on the streets or changing a flat tire at 3:30 in the afternoon on the side of the highway.  He is no longer enjoyable and can actually be hated.             

Let’s now look at the Son and all his glory.  When life is going well, we love his presence and bask in the enjoyment of his blessings.  Jesus is seen as a friend and we speak fondly of him.  Then, when trouble raises its head and our life of comfort is disturbed, he is no longer seen as friendly as he was before and we do not speak of him as much, or we spiritualize the situation, or we don’t say it, but we can ask if he is truly good.  Why are we so schizophrenic with Christ.  If he is always the same, why does our view of him seem to change with the wind so much.  I thought about Paul this morning and what he shared at the end of 2 Corinthians 11. 23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?30If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.  So here is a man who experienced all of those things, yet seemed to always welcome the presence of Christ, so matter the situation.  Actually, the difficult situation seemed to fuel his pursuit of Christ even more, not hinder his pursuit of God.  He enjoyed the Son no matter what Life’s weather brought.  How did he get there?  One more verse will help us in 2 Corinthians 5 - 14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.                                                                      

Paul did not live for himself and his desires, but he lived for the one who died for him.  No matter how the Son of God shone and bore down upon him, he found it  enjoyable.  How about you and I?

No comments: