Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Reflections on the Kö

As I write this morning, we are now 3 days away from leaving Germany as our current home. Last night as I walked on the Königs Allee I found the moment to be emotional.  4 Years of our lives have been given to see the Kingdom of God advance in Germany and the year before we got here, it was spent trying to figure out how we could get here.  The last 5 years of our lives have been spent in focus on this nation called Deutschland. 
As I walked on the KÖ last night I was brought to the place where I looked at who I have become in the last 4 years and I reflected upon the relationships I have in ministry here. My favorite epistle of Paul's is Ephesians. It is obvious how we he loved them as it comes through in this letter.  When you read the book of Acts, you see that Paul deeply loved the people in Ephesus.  A couple of years of his life were spent there as he laughed, taught, ate in their homes, worshiped with them, etc.  He did life with them during that time.  When the time came for Paul to leave Ephesus and move on in his calling to another city, it was an emotional moment for him and them. 
"And there was much weeping  on the part of all; they embraced Paul and kissed him, being sorrowful the most of all because of the word he had spoken, that they would not see his face again. And they accompanied him to the ship." Acts 20:37-38
Though I will be back again here seeing those I love, it is still a very difficult moment to say goodbye.
I have become, in all phases of my life, a deeper and more spiritual man. I am a better communicator, 
evangelist,husband, father, and leader because of being here. My understanding of the world, of lostness, of faith, 
of ministry, and of life is deeper because of these 4 years. Mostly this has all come about through relationships, 
relationship with both German believers and lost friends I have here. Relationships, with Jesus, other Christians,  
the understanding of non-believers has shaped me into who I have become.
I now move to a new phase, a new city, and new challenges, etc. And I would say - much better 
prepared to lead in the days before me. So, today, I am grateful to these people, who speak a crazy language 
and who have been used of God to shape me deeper into the passion I have for Christ. So...to these I thank God....

Pascal, Rene und Doro, Sonja, Sarai, Antje, Tobias und Tobita, Alex, Johnny, Bernd, Andre, Dejan, Mike, 
Sebastian and Annemieke.  You have been used of God in my life and I thank you. And when we embrace 
one last time on Thursday evening, let's pray it will not be our last.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss you so much!