Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Visiting Churches

For the first time in our lives, we have the opportunity to visit churches of various sizes, flavors, and persuasions - so we are. We want over the next weeks to learn and experience what it is like to get up and try and find a church home so that we can understand how to greet, love, and welcome visitors to whatever church we eventually pastor. We also want to see what is effective and not effective in living church together. So far, so good. I may blog from time to time about our experience (yes, I am actually going to blog more consistently) for your reading enjoyment. Here is my first entry.
We visited a Disciples of Christ church last Sunday. Known for their liberalism Theologically, we were pleasantly surprised to find the experience to be based in scripture and for the most part - Sound. Hey, in the bible belt you can always be a bit surprised. It was a nice church and a good experience. It is always great to see a Pastor who loves his people.
My one thought from Sunday is this. Though the scripture was quoted and used, we were never asked to open the scripture with the Pastor as he spoke. My thought is this today: It is not enough to say hard things, truthful things, have right doctrine, etc. if we never help the people connect what we say with the scripture they hold in their hands. In an age where Biblical Illiteracy is growing, it is our job to bring the people along with us as they look at the truth for themselves. They need to look at it at the same time we are explaining it. The scripture holds the words of life.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I completely agree with you, Doak. It is frustrating to me when I have attended a church and haven't been required to bring my copy of the Holy Scriptures.
On a similar note, we visited a church recently where the pastor asked everyone to stand while he read from the Scriptures he was about to preach on - I liked that a lot and felt it helped us respect the Word of God.